UF College Libertarians join suit against secretary of state, elections commission

The UF College Libertarians were among four groups statewide that filed a lawsuit against Florida Secretary of State Kurt Browning and the Florida Elections Commission on Wednesday.

The organizations are fighting a law that requires groups to register with the state as electioneering communications organizations if their purpose is to accept contributions and spend money to comment on candidates or ballot issues.

The complaint, filed with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida, stated this violates constitutional rights to freedom of speech and freedom of assembly.

Neal Conner, president of UF College Libertarians, said the regulations have infringed on the group's First Amendment rights.

"Even as it stands, we can't even get the information out there about the ballot issues; we can't even advertise that we are going to have a candidate speak at our events without having to register as an (electioneering communications organization)," Conner said.

Especially now with the approaching election, Conner said he feels people want the ability to express their opinions and distribute information free of restriction.

He signed the complaint not only on behalf of the club, but also as an individual, he said.

Electioneering communications organizations must specify their bank account information, their expenditures, the amount of each contribution and the contributors' contact information and occupations, according to a handbook from the State Department.

Pat Syrushing, a commission clerk for the Florida Elections Commission, said she could not comment on the case because it is ongoing.

In an e-mail Wednesday, Jennifer Krell Davis, spokeswoman for Secretary of State Browning, also declined to comment.