Arrests made during UF–Georgia game fall

While the Gators' winning score at the UF-Georgia game was higher than last year, the number of arrests made by the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office decreased.

Lt. Shannon Douberly said no deaths were reported and nothing out of the ordinary happened at the Jacksonville Municipal Stadium during Saturday's game.

The final number of arrests has not been counted because the force has been busy with Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's visit to Jacksonville, Douberly said.

"We are fairly certain the arrests and ejections at the game went down from the previous years," said Douberly, the lieutenant of special events.

About 150 students took advantage of the three student safety zones over the weekend, said Paige Crandall, interim Dean of Students and one of four coordinators for the zones.

The zones, staffed by employees of UF, University Police and the city of Jacksonville, helped students find medical help, get directions and charge phones, Crandall said.

Five or six students were transported to the hospital from the zones for alcohol intoxication, Crandall said.

After the game, the Alachua County Sheriff's Office, along with seven other agencies, stopped about 2,000 cars at a DUI checkpoint on state Road 24 as fans passed on their way back to Gainesville.

Police arrested 11 people on 24 charges, including seven for DUIs and 11 for drug-related crimes, said Lt. Stephen Maynard, a spokesman for the sheriff's office. The rest were charges of other traffic violations or possession of alcohol by a minor.

Maynard said it is not unusual for there to be a DUI checkpoint after the UF-Georgia game.

Alligator Writer Thomas Stewart contributed to this report.