Ingram will dress, likely not play in championship game

MIAMI - It appeared to be one of the misfortunes of sports, one of those bad things that happen to good people.

When Cornelius Ingram tore his ACL in August, teammates, coaches and media members alike felt for the redshirt senior who always seemed to put his best foot forward.

His speedy recovery coupled with freak athleticism had led to rumors that he might return for the BCS National Championship Game on Thursday night, despite the fact that many recoveries from a similar injury take up to a year.

But this story will likely not have the happy ending many wanted.

Coach Urban Meyer reiterated this week that his star tight end will not play against Oklahoma.

"It's not because we don't want him," Meyer said. "It's just not the right thing to do. He's not healed yet."

It's a hard sell to Ingram, who may well have circled this date on the calendar as something to work toward during rehab.

He said he will definitely dress for the game and warm up with the team, and he still holds out hope for playing, although he admits his only chance might be during a kneel-down at the end of the game if UF is leading.

"This is what you come to college for - to compete for a national championship," Ingram said. "Sitting out the entire season was frustrating and coming into this big-time environment with the crowd and another great team you're playing against - it's very highly anticipated."

He admitted that if it were up to him, he might play Thursday. He said he and Meyer have joked about him possibly getting on the field.

"The only thing is, I haven't been out there in pads and had the full contact yet," he said. "That's the only thing I might be a little timid about. As far as running, catching, cutting full speed, I'm doing all that, and it's coming along really well."

But he isn't worried about the anxiety that plagues many athletes recovering from knee surgeries. Some never regain their old form because they can't get back complete confidence to make cuts without thinking of the injury.

Ingram said his situation is different because of how he sustained the injury.

He did it while not wearing pads after being pulled down by his shoulders. Very different, he said, from someone who has their knee hit from different angles by defenders in full contact.

"Whenever I get back into it, I'll just be able to go full speed. I don't have any fear about it right now," he said. "I feel like I rehabbed and did my therapy process really well, so I feel like I'll be ready to compete."

When asked about how Ingram has looked in practice, UF assistant coach Dan Mullen couldn't suppress a smile.

"Oh yeah. Oh yeah," he said. "He can go."

But quickly after, he had a more somber outlook.

"We were hoping maybe there'd be a shot for him in this game," Mullen said. "For his future with the doctors, they just determined that it's better for him to just keep preparing and do some things. I watch him run routes and do things out there. He looks fabulous."

Mullen understands Ingram's frustration, but the coaches don't want to risk any possible further injury by rushing him back too fast.

"For him, unless the doctors say he's 100 percent go, we wouldn't put his future at risk," Mullen said. "He has a tremendous future in front of him. I imagine he's going to be a top pick in the draft.

"That's where his focus needs to be. He's done a great job. He's part of this team, part of this family. He has a big future to worry about."