Downtown plaza to host free concerts beginning May

Downtown Gainesville will be a melting pot of musical styles for the next six months.

Every Friday from May to October, the Bo Diddley Community Plaza, on the corner of Southeast First Street and West University Avenue, will host a different local band each week as part of the 2009 Let's Go Downtown "Free Fridays" Plaza Series.

This year's free shows, which run from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., will feature 30 bands, with genres ranging from blues to "cosmic Americana."

The showcase will kick off May 1 with the 6th Street Rhythm & Blues Review, a mix of blues, old-school R&B and jazz.

Guitarist Bill Barnard said his band has played the event for a few years, and the tight-knit atmosphere of Gainesville makes it fun.

"It's downtown, it's outside. It's a good place for people to come hear music," he said.

On June 5, the concert will be a Bo Diddley Tribute. Diddley, the rock icon and Archer resident for whom the venue was renamed after his death, will be honored by the community while members of his family and band perform.

"We're going to change the sign, a mural will be unveiled, there will be a proclamation," said David Ballard, events coordinator for Gainesville's Division of Cultural Affairs.

Ballard said another highlight will be a performance by Black Violin, a two-person hip-hop violin group who competed on the show "America's Got Talent."

"We're very excited about them," he said. "They gave us a good break because they're from Florida and they like to play here."

The city will pay each performer $400-$500, which varies based on the band.

Last year, between 300 and 700 people attended the concerts per night - about 10,000 total.

Ballard expects an even better turnout this year, as people under financial stress take advantage of free entertainment.

"Kids play. People bring their lawn chairs and blankets. Some bring picnics. Others go out to eat downtown," he said. "It's something people could do every week."