Jenkins to have finger surgery; Pouncey out for three months

With all the injuries to his team, UF coach Urban Meyer joked that he doesn't know how the Gators will even play their spring game Saturday.

The Gators' injury list has seemingly grown by the day, and two more starters were added to that list Monday.

Freshman cornerback Janoris Jenkins will have finger surgery and is expected to be out for three weeks. Meyer said the injury was "real minor."

The news for sophomore offensive lineman Maurkice Pouncey is less fortunate. Pouncey had successful shoulder surgery Monday and is expected to be out for three months. While he'll be ready for the start of the fall season, he will miss a majority of the summer training program.

UF is already without defensive linemen, Justin Trattou (shoulder strain) and Carlos Dunlap (abdominal injury), tight end Desmond Parks (sprained knee) and receiver David Nelson (sprained right foot) as well as a slew of other players who have nursed injuries throughout the spring.

MEYER DEFENDS HARVIN: Meyer said he has received phone calls from NFL personnel asking about former receiver Percy Harvin, who is no longer a lock to be a first-round pick in the NFL Draft on April 25.

Several reports have surfaced questioning Harvin's work ethic and coachability, and NFLDraftBible.com reported Harvin tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine, though that report has not been confirmed elsewhere.

While Meyer did not comment on Harvin's coachability, he quickly elaborated on all the former offensive star did while at UF.

"We won two national championships around him," Meyer said. "Some of the greatest years in the history of Florida football. I was on the sideline with a guy that I know exactly the competitive nature of what we're dealing with. Percy's an extreme competitor. … I think he'll be a great NFL football player."

FULLBACKS GET 'FUNCTIONAL': To say Meyer was disappointed with his fullbacks when spring practice started would be an understatement. The group of Steven Wilks, Rick Burgess and T.J. Pridemore did not please the coaching staff at all. Now, the unit is making Meyer feel much more comfortable.

"I made the comment that the fullback position was bordering on embarrassing," Meyer said. "It's very functional right now."

Meyer has been especially appreciative of walk-on Christopher Scott, who has played running back and fullback. Meyer said Scott could play at either position.

"I have no idea (where he came from)," Meyer said. "He showed up one day on the practice field."