Sunday, June 16, 2024

It’s the beginning of the semester, which means spending an inordinate amount of time consulting ISIS, deciphering syllabi and griping about Rec Sports’ intramural department.

There has to be a mind on this campus brilliant enough to make the proper changes to the repetitive captains’ meetings and brutal signup system.

The meetings are a bit of a necessary evil, but they frequently run as long as 45 minutes and contain the same information for every sport. If you decide to be a captain for three sports that semester, you’re committing over two hours to browsing the Web on your BlackBerry while tuning out the difference between a default and a forfeit.

Rec Sports’ biggest crime against the intramural world came Tuesday night, when they scheduled the basketball captain’s meeting on the same night as the Kentucky game in the O’Connell Center. Just the biggest basketball game of the year, that’s all.

When we called, hours in advance, to explain that our entire team was going to be at the game and unable to attend that same meeting we’ve been to 100 times, the Rec Sports guy explained that the game was starting at 9, and the meeting at 7, leaving plenty of time to get there.

Obviously, he’s never been to a Kentucky game.

Despite our best attempts at logic, it was made clear — no meeting, no signup. Thanks, guys.

After figuring out how to get a teammate to the meeting, we thought of a hypothetical signup strategy.

For registration the next day, everyone who shows up by 7:30 a.m. at Southwest gets a number, and the start of the line is pulled out of a hat to ensure no one camps out for a better spot.

Now tell us, what would be the difference with that and opening registration online at 7:30 a.m. instead? Besides the freezing cold weather, lost hours of sleep and a few uncomfortable RTS bus rides, of course.

Don’t get us wrong, we’re grateful to be able to play intramurals every semester, but we wish we hadn’t spent a fourth of our college experience in the Reitz Union’s Rion Ballroom listening to the same speech about proper athletic wear.