When the lights dimmed in the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom Friday, Mallory Zuckerman couldn’t help but feel a little nervous.

As the first act took the stage and the audience of about 150 people clapped, Zuckerman, an emcee for the Gators United for Haiti talent show, knew it was going to be a good night.

According to Gators United for Haiti president Sky Georges, the group has raised about $32,000 since it was formed in January.

It hopes to raise $50,000 by April 7, Georges said. If the group raises $50,000, the University Athletic Association plans to match this donation.

The talent show featured singing, dancing and improv performances.

For the final act, David “Benji” Kuriakose of Built to be Broken, a band based out of Orlando, gave a special acoustic performance.

Zuckerman, who served as one of the event’s  emcee’s and performed with her a cappella group, No Southern Accent, was pleased with how the show turned out.

“Everything came together beautifully,” said Zuckerman, who spent four months planning the show. “It’s a testament to how rich the arts community is at UF.”

Admission to the event was free, although donations were encouraged.

Georges said he was satisfied with Friday’s show, but there is much more work left to be done.

“My thing is that I want people to see the urgency there,” he said. “People are still suffering.”

Cody Sumerix, a psychology sophomore who also served as an emcee, agreed.

“Despite the fact that [Haiti victims] aren’t on the front page of the media doesn’t mean [they’re] still not close to people’s hearts,” he said.