Student Government senators unanimously passed a resolution Tuesday night calling for the formation of a review board to monitor the actions and policies of the University Police Department.

As proposed by the Senate, the board would be comprised of students, faculty, alumni and members of the community who take an interest in the actions of UPD.

The resolution was written in response to the confrontation between UPD and graduate student Kofi Adu-Brempong in March.

Members of Adu-Brempong’s family were present at the meeting to encourage senators to pass the resolution and thank them for their support.

Adu-Brempong’s niece, Danielle Agyemang, read a letter from her uncle in which Adu-Brempong thanked senators for thinking of him in writing this legislation.

“Your call for a review board is not only right, but long overdue,” Adu-Brempong wrote.

After the resolution passed, supporters of Adu-Brempong present during the meeting erupted in cheers.

The resolution, which is a formal expression of the Senate’s opinion, will be sent to President Bernie Machen and UPD Chief Linda Stump.

Progress Party Sen. Jose Soto, a co-author of the bill, said it is now up to UPD and university administration to determine their vision for the review board.

“This is arguably the best tool to repair the damaged trust,” Soto said.

Jonathan Ossip, Senate leader for the Student Alliance party, said his party appreciates the formation of the board and encouraged senators to follow through with the idea.

“I just want to remind everybody with a lack of resolution in your actions, your words mean nothing,” Ossip said.

Unite Party Sen. Ben Meyers, who co-authored the bill, said the legislation is bipartisan and intended to create a venue for students to rebuild their trust in UPD.

“This bill is not taking a side in the incident but it is taking a side to mend the wounds made from it,” Meyers said.