Patric Young’s classes started on Monday, but he isn’t in Gainesville yet.

The incoming Gators basketball freshman has a good excuse. Young won’t arrive to campus until today because he has been in San Antonio playing for the USA Men’s Basketball U-18 National Team. The squad beat Brazil 81-78 on Wednesday to win the gold medal.

“I definitely was humbled a little bit coming out here to understand how the game is going to be played at the next level,” Young said. “It’s a lot more physical and the referees are going to let you play a lot more and coaches expect so much more from you as far as being on time and taking notes during film sessions.”

The rapid development of the 6-foot-9-inch low-post presence will be vital to Florida this season. Young, a five-star recruit and the fifth-ranked center in the 2010 recruiting class according to Rivals, is expected to provide a solid option at both the power forward and center positions right away.

“I think coach Donovan is going to have me come onto the team as a freshman and have an immediate role on the team,” he said. “I think I’ll come in as a role player looking to rebound a lot. I’m banking on maybe (my sophomore season) will be my year to shine.”

Not known as a scorer, Young averaged 14.2 points per game to go along with 12.4 rebounds and 3.2 blocks as a senior.

The Jacksonville native expects to provide defense and help on the boards with guards Erving Walker and Kenny Boynton taking care of the scoring. Many are looking at Young to join rising sophomore Erik Murphy as the two primary frontcourt reserves.

“(Young is) a guy that is a very aggressive player, he’s very physical,” UF coach Billy Donovan said. “I think his offense will grow and get better as time goes on, but I think the one thing he brings to our team right away is great energy and passion and a physical presence.”

The person who is responsible for Young’s decision to come to UF is not with the Gators anymore. According to Young, former UF assistant and new VCU head coach Shaka Smart is the one who convinced the recruit that Gainesville was the place he would most flourish in. But once he committed, he didn’t want to be one of those players to change his mind, so he never second-guessed his decision after Smart left.

Young has high expectations when he steps onto campus today. He isn’t shy about predicting where the Gators, which are returning their entire starting five, will end up.

“It’s funny because (Marreese) Speights actually tweeted that the Gators are going to be in the Final Four this year,” he said. “I think we have all the talent to make it that far and I think I’ll play a big role in helping us get there.”