On Monday, Urban Meyer said he panicked and got away from the offensive game plan in a 36-14 loss to South Carolina on Saturday.

Offensive coordinator Steve Addazio said the Gators were simply never able to get into the plan because they couldn’t pick up any first downs and sustain drives against the Gamecocks.

UF went three-and-out on four of its first six possessions and picked up just three first downs in the first three quarters of the game. As a result, the amount of possible play calls were limited.

“You’ve got to get in a rhythm, you’ve got to get going,” Addazio said. “You’ve got to have enough plays to be able to rotate guys.”

Addazio said wildcat quarterback Trey Burton and dual-threat quarterback Jordan Reed weren’t involved because there weren’t enough plays to go around early in the game.

Addazio admitted that once Florida started to get down, they went to more passing plays with John Brantley than usual.

“We had a great two weeks going into this last game. We had a great plan, we had a great two weeks, everybody felt good from the players to the coaches about it,” Addazio said. “That’s what’s most disappointing, that we couldn’t get our plan going that we felt so great about.”

Burton ran the ball one time after carrying it 17 times for 110 yards two weeks prior against Georgia, and Reed ran it eight times after rushing 16 times for 84 yards against Vanderbilt on Nov. 6. The two combined for nine carries against South Carolina.

“Probably a mistake,” Meyer said of getting away from the two running quarterbacks. “We felt a little panicked when things weren’t going well. We felt panicked and we really shouldn’t have because it was only 15-7 [at halftime]. I’m one of those guys that gets panicky. I have to learn to shut my mouth sometimes and say, ‘Look, we have a plan,’ and go with the plan.”

Addazio secure for next year: Steve Addazio was asked point blank if he feels his job as UF’s offensive coordinator will be safe for next season.

“Yeah absolutely, I think coach (Meyer) addressed that, didn’t he?” Addazio said.

Meyer said he didn’t think there was a chance Addazio would not be back next season, and Addazio added that he “absolutely” wants to be at Florida doing the same job next year.