Police invoke Baker Act on 74-year-old man after gun goes off

Police invoked the Baker Act on a 74-year-old man Tuesday after he fired a round from his gun when his 29-year-old roommate told him he wanted to move out.

Ernest Chapman, of 8720 NW 13th St., was already dealing with personal medical issues, according to Sgt. Chuck Reddick of the Gainesville Police Department. His anger was compounded when his roommate told him he wanted to leave, he said.

During the argument, Chapman grabbed his handgun and told his roommate the issue was not worth dying over. He then fired off a round away from his roommate, Reddick said.

Rather than taking Chapman to jail, police decided to enact the Baker Act, Reddick said.

The Baker Act allows mental health officials, judges and law enforcement to place those deemed to be in a mental state considered harmful to themselves or others under mental health evaluation for up to 72 hours. Those who are committed under the Baker Act do not need to give their consent.

According to Reddick, Chapman is charged with one count of aggravated assault, but it is up to the State Attorney’s Office whether he will be brought to court on the charges.