The scene inside the Archer Road Walmart Wednesday through Thursday evening looked closer to a tailgate than a line for a book signing.

About 200 people in Gator gear brought coolers, lawn chairs, blankets and shopping carts full of drinks and snacks to survive the wait for Tim Tebow, who signed copies of his book "Through My Eyes" Thursday from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Greg Stevens, a 41-year-old who describes himself as a lifelong Gator fan, sat at the front of a line that snaked through the large retail store. He, along with his wife and 6-year-old son Samuel, drove more than 250 miles from Boynton Beach, and started the line at around noon Wednesday.

Customers could purchase up to two books per person starting at midnight on Wednesday. Six hundred books were guaranteed to be signed, so signature-seekers had to show up early.

By Thursday afternoon, close to 1,000 people crowded the store. Some were lucky enough to have a book in their hands, with others crowding the electronics area hoping to get a glimpse of one of Gainesville's most beloved athletes.

At 6 p.m., a blood-curdling scream set off the chants of "Tebow, Tebow, Tebow," which greeted the former Gator star. Display TVs in the background showed highlights of his college career.

With a big smile on his face, Tebow started the process.

Marilyn Vallecillo, a 21-year-old UF philosophy senior, attended the event with her mother and sister, both of whom who had driven up from Miami.

She saidTebow was about quality, not quantity when it came to his fans.

"He's not kind that kind of person who's just like ‘sign and then go,'" she said. "He takes his time with you."

Gaile Hutchins, 67, was second in line for the signing. She was there to collect a signature for herself and her daughter-in-law, Carolyn Hutchins, who had been diagnosed with cancer.

But when the the 30-hour wait for Stevens and his son was finally over, he said it was well worth it.

"There are so few true heroes left in this country today," he said. "I'm 41 and he makes me feel like a little kid, and he's just everything as a father you want your son to grow up to be like."