<p>A German shepherd police dog, Apollo, is led by Marion County Sheriff's Office Deputy Greg Combs Friday, sniffing out narcotics for his yearly certification requirements.</p>

A German shepherd police dog, Apollo, is led by Marion County Sheriff's Office Deputy Greg Combs Friday, sniffing out narcotics for his yearly certification requirements.

Apollo, led by Marion County Sheriff's Office Deputy Greg Combs, let his nose lead the way Friday.

The German shepherd police dog sniffed around four vans in search of narcotics on the lawn between Ben Hill Griffin Stadium and University Avenue. Three of the four vans had drugs in them that he needed to detect as part of his yearly certification requirements.

Apollo was one of 17 dogs that completed the test on Friday, according to Sgt. Nigel Lowe, the officer in charge of the Alachua County Sheriff's Office's K-9 unit.

The University Police Department, Alachua County Sheriff's Office, Collier County Sheriff's Office, Marion County Sheriff's Office, Seminole County Sheriff's Office, Perry Police Department and Boca Raton Police Department were also present.

The certification events usually aren't as large, but the agencies joined after UPD and ASO arranged to test their dogs at the same time, said UPD Sgt. Matt Davis.

Narcotics like marijuana, Ecstasy and cocaine were used for the testing, as well as materials like C4, Davis said.

The dogs had to detect the materials in vans parked on the field and in four rooms of Touchdown Terrace. UPD was certifying its two police dogs, Gator and Rocky, who train at least once a week.

If they didn't pass the tests Friday, they could retake the certification exams again after a 24-hour wait period, Davis said.