Temperatures, humidity normal for this time of year

<p>Clouds hover above Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on a gloomy day Thursday.</p>

Clouds hover above Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on a gloomy day Thursday.

Seasons change, but the weather in Gainesville remains the same - at least for the next four weeks.

Although today marks the beginning of fall, weather in The Swamp will remain warm and humid throughout the next few weeks, said Matt Zibura, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Jacksonville.

Next week, high temperatures will reach the upper 80s, and low temperatures will be in the 70s, Zibura said.

For this time of year, the average high is 87 degrees, and the average low is 68 degrees.

Tropical Storm Ophelia is currently in the Atlantic Ocean but has nothing to do with the current weather, nor is it expected to, said Dennis Feltgen, meteorologist at the National Hurricane Center in Miami. The official end of the Atlantic hurricane season is Nov. 30.

Ophelia is not expected to become a hurricane, and should be running into a lot of wind in the next 48 hours and remaining offshore, Feltgen said.

What is impacting the current weather situation is a band of showers.

With a 60 percent chance of rain, showers and thunderstorms are expected to continue through out the weekend, mainly in the afternoon and evenings. There is a cold front trying to make its way into the Southeast that may reach Central Florida, but it will take a couple of days, Feltgen said.

Even so, temperatures will remain with highs in the mid to upper 80s, he said.

"This is very typical of September and early October, with high heat and humidity," he said. "In Florida we still have a good four to five weeks of what we would call summer weather."