Hosts of county fair plan more community outreach for coming years

<p>After a hiatus in 2010 because of unpaid debts, the Alachua County Fair has returned this year. The fair will continue through Saturday at the Alachua County Fairgrounds on Northeast 39th Avenue.</p>

After a hiatus in 2010 because of unpaid debts, the Alachua County Fair has returned this year. The fair will continue through Saturday at the Alachua County Fairgrounds on Northeast 39th Avenue.

Fried butter, spinning amusement rides and performing seals heralded the Alachua County Fair's first weekend, attracting thousands.

In 2010, the county had to do without its fair, and organizers are rebuilding after the hiatus.

The Alachua County Fair was canceled in 2010 because the previous operation owed exhibitors and advertisers money.

Because of the owed money, Alachua County officials would not allow the fair to use the county fairgrounds, and the fair's 40-year run was scrubbed.

Stephen White, owner of Dade City-based Event Marketing Corp., which is hosting the fair, said the turnout was good for the first weekend, and visitors seemed to enjoy themselves.

He said that's the key to rebuilding a county fair. White couldn't provide an exact crowd count, but said thousands of people showed up Saturday and Sunday.

"We aren't as concerned about the numbers as we are concerned about the happiness of the customers who come out," he said. "I thought the turnout was very good for our first weekend."

Event Marketing Corp. has a contract to run the fair for four more years, and White said he plans to draw in the community as much as possible during those years, especially the agricultural community. Agriculture shows are very popular in the area, he said.

He plans to draw more people who want to show animals to the fair.

"Agriculture is No. 1," White said. "I'd like to embrace the agricultural community very much so to involve them."

But more than anything, White said, he wants adults, college students and children to come to the fair to enjoy life.

"Fairs as a whole across the United States are a mirror image of the community itself," he said. "This is very important for us to put on the best that we possibly can."

Other attractions include $2 beers on Tuesday night for students who bring a college ID, a live alligator show and live bands such as Dad and the Accidents, Danny Wooten and Southern Slang and Red Paper Birds.

The fair will continue through Saturday.

For more information about fair hours, visit alachuacountyfair.com.