United Way fundraisers feature alcohol outdoors before home games

Although football fans are usually forced to get their alcohol fix within the walls of bars on the Fridays before UF home games, a new downtown event offers the opportunity to toss back a few beers outdoors.

United Downtown, hosted by United Way of North Central Florida with support from local sponsors such as the City of Gainesville, usually kicks off at 5:30 p.m. on those select Fridays and runs until about 10:30 p.m., said Dana Newsome Napier, vice president of communications at United Way.

The organization and others like it provide supportive community programs in their areas.

The street party is modeled after similar events run by other United Way organizations, such as the one in Tallahassee.

In Gainesville, it is held along Southeast First Street between Southeast Second Avenue and University Avenue, according to the local United Way website.

People can get food ranging from pizza to fried chicken from vendors, who paid a flat fee of $1,000 to participate in United Downtown all season, Napier said.

There are about 35 vendor spots, for which food and jewelry vendors paid fees. Sponsors and organizations providing activities for participants didn't have to pay for their spots.

United Way also has a beer tent where people can buy Miller Lite, Blue Moon or Coors Light.

United Downtown has permits that allow for open containers of alcohol during its events, she said. The local United Way organization makes money from alcohol, soda and water sales, which will be to fund its programs.

"Our main goal for United Way is to bring awareness for ... the things we do in the community. Ultimately we would like to see this continue in future years and raise money for fundraisers," Napier said.

A bartender at Durty Nelly's Irish Pub, 25-year-old Nick Zolnierowski, said United Downtown hasn't led to any lost business for the establishment.

There is sometimes a delay in the influx of customers into the pub, but as soon as the street party ends there is usually a rush of people coming to Durty Nelly's, which is located on West University Avenue and is open until 2 a.m. Monday through Friday.

"On those home game Fridays, we never have a problem getting business in here," Zolnierowski said.

This new event is just one more option for people looking for something to do. It isn't really competition for Durty Nelly's, he said.

"When the beer runs out there and they can't get it there, people will try to find it somewhere else."

Amie Mizell, the 28-year-old lead bartender at the Gainesville House of Beer, said she hasn't seen a negative impact on business either.

The bartenders are kept "hopping," she said. There hasn't been a drop in customers on what is typically the busiest day for the establishment, which is also located on West University Avenue.

If anything, the new event has had a positive effect by attracting more people to the downtown Gainesville area, Mizell said.

Alcohol and food aren't the only attractions available at United Downtown.

It also includes live music from local acts. For example, the P.K. Yonge Bluegrass Band will perform at the next event on Nov. 4, although that day it will run from 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. instead of during its usual time slot. It will start around the time the UF Homecoming Parade will be ending, Napier said.

Activities for children are also provided at United Downtown such as face painting and crafts.