Will 'J. Edgar' earn Leonardo DiCaprio a long-awaited Oscar?

It seems outrageous that Leonardo DiCaprio has not won an Oscar after three nominations. After a practically flawless acting career spanning almost 20 years, DiCaprio deserves the highest recognition there is for any actor. It is obvious that DiCaprio commits himself fully to each role, putting in his blood, sweat and tears to bring each performance together.

Being nominated for an Oscar is a high honor, but after three nominations, I start to wonder how long it will take for him to actually win. Why does the American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences keep getting my hopes up and then bringing him back down? Perhaps it is the stiff competition that stands in his way. DiCaprio is good, but maybe not good enough.

In 1993, DiCaprio garnered his first nomination for Best Supporting Actor in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape," a story of a man who feels his cannot live his own life because he must care for his autistic younger brother. DiCaprio's portrayal of Arnie, Gilbert's autistic teenaged brother, was both convincing and endearing. Yet, he lost against the intensity of Tommy Lee Jones' performance in "The Fugitive."

In 2004, DiCaprio was up for Best Actor for playing Howard Hughes in "The Aviator." Again, DiCaprio was flawless as the paranoid, obsessive-compulsive Hughes. Everything from his Southern twang accent to his physical demeanor had been done to perfection. Even still, the Oscar went to another biopic actor, Jamie Fox, for his performance as Ray Charles in "Ray." Then, in 2006, DiCaprio had another shot at the Best Actor award, his supporting role days far behind him, for "Blood Diamond." Forest Whitaker took home the award for "The Last King of Scotland."

Now it seems that DiCaprio's performance in "J. Edgar" will earn him yet another nomination. It is a classic Oscar-bait film, but it is powered only by a magnificent lead. Whatever the role and whatever the film, Leonardo DiCaprio never fails to deliver fantastic performances. He deserves the recognition of nomination, but there always seems to be something standing in his way. Considering the quality of "J.Edgar" as a whole, DiCaprio might be facing defeat again, but it'll always depend on who else is stepping up to the plate to claim this years Best Actor Oscar.

Posts in Swamp Cinema appear on Mondays.