Slow starts, turnovers lead to early SEC woes for UF

<p>Gators forward Jennifer George leads the team with a double-double average of 14 points and 10.1 rebounds per game, but UF is looking for more production around her.</p>

Gators forward Jennifer George leads the team with a double-double average of 14 points and 10.1 rebounds per game, but UF is looking for more production around her.

The Gators have dropped the ball to start the new year.

In three Southeastern Conference games, Florida has recorded 61 turnovers and lost at home to No. 9 Kentucky and No. 24 South Carolina by a combined eight points.

The slow start stems from the Gators’ sloppiness with the basketball in the first half since league play began on New Year’s Day.

“We’ve not gotten out of the gates well, and that’s really baffling,” coach Amanda Butler said. “We need to be sharper from the onset.”

The Gators’ most recent loss came against the Gamecocks in a 49-44 defeat that was decided in the final minutes. However, a five-point loss was far from expected after UF turned the ball over 14 times and scored just 15 points in the first half.

Florida has averaged 20.3 giveaways per game since SEC play began compared to a 16.5 mark in 13 non-conference contests.

Even junior forward Jennifer George — the Gators’ leading scorer — has struggled with ball control from the get-go, recording nine first-half turnovers in her last three games.

“You can’t afford — even if it’s five ticks into the game — to give the ball back because then you’re giving yourself the chance to lose by two right there,” Butler said.

Giveaways were a pressing issue for the Gators last season when they added six new players to the fold.

The unfamiliarity within the team contributed to Florida’s minus-1.23 turnover margin during the 2010-11 campaign, which ranked next to last in the Southeastern Conference.

While the Gators are in the black with a plus-1.38 mark this season, they still rank just eighth in the conference.

Senior guard Deana Allen believes that maintaining Florida’s game plan from the start  will help it minimize giveaways.

“We can’t let other teams dictate how we’re going to execute our plays,” Allen said. “Just learning to dictate our own tempo and also just valuing the ball.”

The Gators’ failure to establish substantial offensive production down low has contributed to the turnover problem.

Due to inconsistent post play, Florida’s guards have been more aggressive driving the lane, leading to increased mistakes.

George has certainly done her part in the paint, leading UF with 14 points and 10.1 rebounds per game, but post scoring begins and ends with her.

The closest forward or center to George statistically is senior Azania Stewart, averaging 5.3 points and 5.6 rebounds per contest.

Following the South Carolina game, George said her fellow post players needed to “finish consistently with contact” offensively.

Butler sent a message to the forwards and centers that they needed to get more involved and described them as “very, very capable” of doing so.

“Ndidi (Madu) got us out of the gates against Kentucky — that’s what we need from her,” Butler said.  “Lily (Svete) is out of her shooting slump. We need her to play both ends of the floor.”

Florida’s next game will be a road tilt against No. 19 Georgia on Thursday at 7 p.m.

The Gators posted a 1-1 record against the Bulldogs last season, recording 16 and 23 turnovers in the win and loss, respectively.

“The way we feel about the SEC, each ball game is going to be won or lost by two or maybe three possessions,” Butler said. “You’ve got to value the ball when you have it.”

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.