Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams star in real-life love story 'The Vow'

<p>The story of a man who must convince his wife to fall back in love with him after she loses her memory of their relationship after a car accident seems too close to a daytime soap opera&nbsp;—&nbsp;at first.</p>

The story of a man who must convince his wife to fall back in love with him after she loses her memory of their relationship after a car accident seems too close to a daytime soap opera — at first.

With the arrival of Valentine's Day there comes the seasonal flood of quirky chick flicks. This year's much-anticipated love story was the "The Vow," starring the hunky Channing Tatum from "Dear John" and the dazzling Rachel McAdams from "The Notebook." It comes as a surprise that this film was not adapted from a Nicholas Sparks' novel; instead, it was inspired by actual events. 

The story of a man who must convince his wife to fall back in love with him after she loses her memory of their relationship after a car accident seems too close to a daytime soap opera — at first. Fortunately, it is done with enough clarity and taste that it does not feel cheesy at all. The film was able to convince audiences without relying on the fact that the story actually did happen.

Romantic films offer a reflection of what people hope love will be, revealing possibilities that many viewers enjoy fantasizing about. "The Vow" is especially touching because it isn't a fanciful tale of impossible love. It is pleasantly genuine and believable. It has the capability of convincing even the most jaded cynic that people do find their way back to each other.

What brought female viewers to "The Vow" might have been the possibility of seeing Tatum shirtless, and their skeptical boyfriends might have tagged along to see McAdams grace the screen with her stunning beauty. These initial draws do not compare to what the film really offers. The chemistry between Tatum and McAdams is palpable and adorable. "The Vow" might not have left audiences sobbing like "Titanic" or "The Notebook" because it's much less tragic than a usual chick flick. It leaves viewers with a profound sense of satisfaction and joy, not cheapened by unbelievable twists or passionate declarations.

Overall, it is difficult to find new ideas in cinema because everything has been done. Filmmakers are either drawing on the stories of novelists or redoing old ideas. It took a while for someone to realize that sometimes the best ideas come from real life.

Posts in Swamp Cinema appear on Tuesdays. Follow @swampcinema on Twitter.