<p>Janelle Pornovetz, 22, reorganizes clay bones on Turlington Plaza on Wednesday afternoon. Read a story about the One Million Bones project at alligator.org.</p>

Janelle Pornovetz, 22, reorganizes clay bones on Turlington Plaza on Wednesday afternoon. Read a story about the One Million Bones project at alligator.org.

Rib, hand and leg bones made from clay lined a Turlington Plaza table Wednesday as part of the One Million Bones project’s visit to UF.

Students had the opportunity to mold bones out of clay to raise awareness for genocide and humanitarian issues. About 75 students participated.

UF Geography Student Organization and H.O.T Clay came together for the project on Turlington Plaza. Each bone created helps with the donation of up to $500,000 for the humanitarian organization CARE International.

“It’s good to raise awareness for something that Americans don’t get a lot of exposure to,”said Jessica Johnston, a 22-year-old psychology senior.

The Bezos Family Foundation provides a $1 donation for each bone created if the student organization facilitating the projects registered with Students Rebuild.

One Million Bones Project state coordinator Caroline Labarga, a 23- year old Florida State University studio art senior, said the project is everywhere, not just on college campuses. The Florida One Million Bones project started in October 2011 with the goal of having a total of 17,000 bones created.

“It’s good to way to see that you have a human bone in your hand,” said Farhana Ferdous, a 19-year-old art sophomore. “Even though it’s not a real bone, it’s still showing the fragility of people.”

Geography Student Organization volunteer coordinator Tyler McCann, a 21- year-old botany and geography senior, helped coordinate the effort to bring the project to UF.

“Bones represent the powerful image of death,” McCann said. “It’s a visual petition to the U.S. government to act to end genocide.”

The bones made at UF — along with bones made by other states and organizations — will be placed on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., in 2013.