Tea has been referred to medicine in a mug for years. Tea has been linked to good health for centuries. It seems like every day there is new research about a new benefit of green tea. From weight loss powers to cancer-fighting antioxidants, green tea is a cup of gold.

According to research published in the journal Immunology Letters, green tea boosts the immune system by increasing the number of T cells in the body. T cells work to support immune function and suppress autoimmune diseases. Drinking green tea regularly is a good way to naturally protect the immune system without pharmaceutical drugs.

A study at the University of Stratheclyde in Glasgow, Scotland, found that green tea can actually shrink cancer tumors. These results occurred when green tea extract was applied directly to the tumors, so drinking green tea could have similar effects.

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported that drinking green tea helps functioning as we age. The journal cites a study that found green tea consumption to significantly decrease the risk of functional disability.

Green tea is also known to be a detoxifier. Green tea can help your body naturally get rid of waste and toxins. The beverage is also known to help with easing digestion.

The antioxidant EGCG found in green tea can protect the skin from the damages of free radicals. Free radicals diminish the skin’s collagen and cause wrinkles. The polyphenols in green tea can also revitalize dying skin cells.

If green tea isn’t your “cup of tea,” consider trying black, white, oolong or herbal teas. Each type of tea has different health benefits and varying tastes.