<p><span>Coach Amanda Butler watches from the bench during UF’s 87-62 win against Troy on Dec. 4 in the O’Connell Center.</span></p>
<div><span><br /></span></div>

Coach Amanda Butler watches from the bench during UF’s 87-62 win against Troy on Dec. 4 in the O’Connell Center.

After a slow start to begin the season, junior Jaterra Bonds rose to the occasion in the Gators’ first two games to open Southeastern Conference play.

Bonds made it three straight productive conference games on Thursday night.

She scored a team-best 17 points and added six rebounds to help Florida beat Mississippi State (8-8, 0-3 SEC) 61-55 in the Humphrey Coliseum in Starkville, Miss. 

“Each team is aggressive in our league, so you can’t sleep on any of them,” Bonds said. “Every night, I just try to bring it and be confident in my play.”

Only injury slowed Bonds on Thursday. With 51 seconds remaining in the second half, Bonds was cut on her left elbow, forcing freshman January Miller to step to the free throw line in her place. 

Miller made 1 of 2 attempts, increasing Florida’s lead to 59-55. 

Bonds received stitches after the game. 

“Jaterra showed great leadership down the stretch,” coach Amanda Butler said. 

Unlike a year ago, when the Gators failed to hold leads late in games — particularly in conference matchups — Florida notched its second consecutive victory after trailing late in the game.

The Gators defeated LSU 77-72 on Sunday using a late 11-2 run, an effort that they nearly duplicated against Mississippi State. 

Trailing 52-51 with 4:30 remaining in the second half, Florida (13-4, 2-1 SEC) finished the game on a 10-3 run. Bonds scored five points in the stretch before exiting the game to receive medical attention.

“We’re growing up and maturing,” Bonds said. “Last year, close leads, close games, we lost those games. I think that says a lot about our maturity and toughness, being able to hold off opponents.”

Butler said her team came in expecting a battle. Winning on the road can be challenging no matter the opponent’s record, especially with unforced errors. 

The Gators shot 32 more free throws than the Bulldogs in the game but made only 64.1 percent of its tries. Florida also turned the ball over 19 times, . 

“This is a really, really good ugly win for us,” Butler said.

“We didn’t expect anything other than that.” 

Bonds’ offensive production helped offset the lack of scoring from an injured Jennifer George. 

George was day-to-day coming into the game after suffering a dislocated shoulder in a victory against LSU on Sunday. 

She came off the bench and struggled with a brace hampering her right arm.

George contested shots defensively but was tentative on offense, finishing 0 of 4 from the field with two missed free throws. 

“Jennifer came in and gave us the minutes she could,” Butler said. 

Vicky McIntyre filled in for George inside. McIntyre finished with 10 points on 4-of-7 shooting.

The Oklahoma State transfer added eight rebounds and four blocks.

McIntyre’s performance was the type of effort Butler and her coaching staff hope to see more consistently from the 6-foot-7 junior as the team looks to build on its strong start in conference play. 

“She was a difference maker for us tonight,” Butler said.

“She knew she had to be. She really stepped up and made the plays we expected her to make.”

Contact Phillip Heilman at pheilman@alligator.org.