The complete guide to birth control

What does a girl have to do to get laid in college?

Unless she wants to go searching for a stroller on Amazon along with her textbooks, it requires more than a mini skirt and a frat party. She has to be smart and safe. Birth control provides women with the security they need whether they are in a long-term monogamous relationship or desire to be more spontaneous with sex. Sometimes the free Lifestyle condoms at the health center are not enough.

Every female is different, so selecting the right type of contraception can be stressful and confusing, especially for girls without health insurance or a regular doctor. Introducing hormones into the body can disrupt the chemical balance leading to symptoms such as weight gain, nausea, depression or change in sex drive. The idea of becoming a bloated bitch with tender breasts and constant headaches does not sound appealing, but neither does becoming a baby mama with a major in engineering. It is important to research what works and the only way to truly know is through trial and error. Here is a list of options for any girl looking in to contraception methods:

The Pill

The pill is one of the most basic birth control methods for females. It is 99 percent effective in preventing pregnancy and regulates the menstrual cycle. The two types of birth control pills are combination, which includes both estrogen and progestin, and the progestin-only pill. The combination pill is the most commonly prescribed pill, but progestin-only pills are for smokers or women prone to blood clots.

Most birth control pills are generally the same and there are very few differences between generic and name brands. In fact, generic pills contain the same dose and strength as their name brand counterparts. Generic pills are less costly because once the patent on a name brand pill expires a drug company will produce the same pill without the necessity of going through studies. The FDA approves both generic and name brand pills.

The most important thing to remember when taking the pill is that you have to take it every day at the same time. Being forgetful with your birth control makes it less effective.

Cost: Some generic brands such as Tri-Sprintec can cost as little at $9 a month. Most brands range from $15 to $50 a month. Sometimes, depending on your insurance, it can be free. 

Vaginal Rings

For those girls who might have a difficult time remembering to take the pill every day there are several other options. Nova-Ring is a flexible two-inch ring that is inserted into the vagina, and removed after three weeks. The ring releases the same amount of estrogen and progestin as the in the pill directly into the vaginal walls. Side effects are similar to the combination pill, but vaginal irritation is possible. There have been rumors that a male may be able to feel the ring during intercourse, but these occurrences are rare.

Cost: $30-$35 a month

IUD

An “intrauterine device” is a small T-shaped flexible plastic device that a doctor inserts into a woman’s uterus. It is one of the most effective forms of birth control. There are two brands — ParaGard and Mirena. IUDs mainly change the way sperm move so that they cannot connect with an egg to form. Mirena releases a small amount of progestin, which builds up cervical mucus and prevents the sperm from joining with an egg. Mirena is effective for up to five years. ParaGard contains copper and does not change hormone levels. Paragard is effective for twelve years. Serious problems with an IUD are rare, but it is possible for the IUD to slip out of the uterus.

Cost: An IUD can cost between $500 and $1000 for all examinations and inserting done by a health care professional.

The Implant

Implanon is new and recently approved. It is a single flexible rod that is implanted under the skin of the upper arm. It delivers a low dose of progestin into the body and can be left in for three years. It is especially useful for women who are allergic or unable to use estrogen.

Cost: Between $400 and $800

The Patch

If you do not want something inserted in your uterus and you are not vigilant enough to take the pill, then the patch is a good option. Ortho Evra is a thin, skin tone patch that releases hormones into the body. Hormones in the patch are the same as in a combination pill and it contains the same benefits. A girl must wear the patch all the time and changed every week for three weeks on her buttocks, thigh, stomach, outer arm, or upper torso. It is important to use the patch on time every week and make sure it does not fall off.

Cost: Between $15-$80