<p align="justify">Freshman Christian Mercer (25) attempts a shot during Florida’s 87-54 victory against Alabama on Sunday in the O’Connell Center.</p>

Freshman Christian Mercer (25) attempts a shot during Florida’s 87-54 victory against Alabama on Sunday in the O’Connell Center.

Poor shooting and slow starts have plagued Florida during Southeastern Conference play. Freshman Christin Mercer helped change that, ending the Gators’ five-game losing streak in the process.

Mercer was inserted into the starting lineup for the fourth time this season and responded with her top performance. She scored a career-high 18 points and pulled down 11 rebounds as Florida (14-9, 3-6 SEC) cruised past Alabama 87-54 in the O’Connell Center.

"I’ve been slacking on the aggressive part, so I tried to turn a new cheek," Mercer said.

During UF’s five-game skid, the Gators were troubled with poor first-half efforts. Florida fell behind by double-digits prior to halftime in each of the past four contests, deficits that proved too much to overcome.

Sunday, it was Mercer and the Gators who took command early in the game.

Following a free throw by Jasmine Robinson on Alabama’s opening possession, UF responded with an 11-0 run during the next 2:42. Mercer played an integral role, scoring 8 of her 18 points during the span.

"[Mercer] really showed a lot of growth in our Georgia game," coach Amanda Butler said. "We’ve really been challenging her to bring that consistent energy and drive. She’s been practicing really, really well, so it’s not surprising to see her play this well."

The Gators held the Crimson Tide to 19-of-74 shooting in the game. Alabama (12-10, 2-7 SEC) made just 10 of its 41 attempts in the first half.

Meanwhile, the Gators benefitted from their strongest offensive performance during conference play. UF shot 58.3 percent in the contest, including connecting on 6 of its 12 threes.

Junior Lily Svete led the Gators behind the arc, connecting on 4 of her 6 tries from the three-point line.

"A very big win," Butler said."Not just winning the ball game but winning in a

convincing fashion in a way this team knows that they’re capable of winning games."

Florida led 43-23 at halftime following a 13-0 run to end the first half.

After struggling to limit the SEC’s top three-point shooter three days prior — Missouri’s Morgan Eye connected on four threes in a 69-64 victory — the Gators regrouped to slow another of the conference’s top three point threats.

Shafontaye Myers, whose 27 threes in conference play equaled Florida’s team total, was held to 1-of-11 shooting from the three-point line and finished with just five points.

"We did a great job on defense," Butler said. "A great victory for us to have held them defensively the way that we did because they challenge you in a lot of ways."

After finishing January just 2-6, Mercer said the team made a concerted effort to bring a changed outlook into February. The results paid off on both ends of the floor.

"We had a changed mindset," Mercer said. "I honestly came out their with the mindset that we were the No. 1-ranked team and played ball."

Butler hopes the renewed mindset and better result will be a catalyst for improved play in the final month of the season. Three of UF’s seven remaining opponents are ranked.

"We wanted to snap the losing streak however we could," Butler said. "For it to look like this is certainly best-case scenario. I think we played one of our most complete ball games."

Contact Phillip Heilman at pheilman@alligator.org