<p align="justify">Throwers coach Steve Lemke (left) and coach Mike Holloway walk across the field at Percy Beard Track at Pressly Stadium during the 2012 Florida Relays. Seventeen Gators qualified Sunday for the NCAA Outdoor Championships, which are set to begin June 5.&nbsp;</p>

Throwers coach Steve Lemke (left) and coach Mike Holloway walk across the field at Percy Beard Track at Pressly Stadium during the 2012 Florida Relays. Seventeen Gators qualified Sunday for the NCAA Outdoor Championships, which are set to begin June 5. 

Florida opened its outdoor season with an impressive statistic.

On Friday at the UCF Invitational in Orlando, UF placed 1-2-3-4 in the men’s hammer throw.

Sophomore Kyle Strawn won the event with a distance of 62.20 meters–good for a personal best and second all time in UF history. This was Strawn’s first hammer throw title of his collegiate career. Senior All-American Jeremy Postin and David Triassi finished second and third, respectively, while sophomore David Levin finished fourth. Triassi and Levin also set personal bests in the event.

At the FSU Relays in Tallahassee, Fla., the Gators managed to win both the men’s and women’s 1,500m.

For the No. 3-ranked men, freshman Jimmy Clark won in his first outdoor collegiate meet with a time of 3:48.12. Along with Clark, three other Gators managed to finish in the top 10 in the men’s 1500m -- Mark Parrish (6th), Ryan Schnulle (7th), and Matt Mizereck (8th).

The victor for the No.7 women in the 1,500m was Florida junior Shelby Hayes. With a time of 4:23.67, Hayes won her first individual victory in her collegiate career. Not two seconds after Hayes crossed the finish line, Mandy Perkins – a member of the women’s 2013 Southeastern Conference Champion distance medley relay squad -- finished second. Rounding out the Gators who finished in the top five in the women’s 1,500m was junior Stephanie Strasser, finishing in fifth place.

Having completed all its scheduled events at the FSU Relays, Florida’s attention is now fully in Orlando for day two of the UCF Invitational.

The Gators are scheduled to compete in 10 events tomorrow – 6 for the women and 4 for the men.

In the men’s 100m, Florida senior Leonardo Seymore, member of the 2012 NCAA Outdoor Champion men’s 4x400m relay squad, is set to compete.

With outdoor season just underway, the Gators look to carry its momentum from last year. Florida’s men are the defending NCAA Outdoor National Champions.

As a whole, Florida tends to flourish outside.

“Outdoors, you have to worry about the elements sometimes,” coach Mike Holloway said. “We train outdoors every day. The bulk of our team’s from Florida, so most of those guys and girls don’t grow up running indoors. They’re a lot more comfortable outdoors. That’s what track and field is.

“I tell my team all the time, ‘There are no indoor Olympics.’”