<p>Steven Markowitz, better known as rapper Hoodie Allen, will perform at High Dive Wednesday with opening acts Aer, Jared Evan and Rezza. Doors open at 9 p.m.</p>

Steven Markowitz, better known as rapper Hoodie Allen, will perform at High Dive Wednesday with opening acts Aer, Jared Evan and Rezza. Doors open at 9 p.m.

Ghetto backgrounds, criminal records and drug history are some things associated with the rappers who dominate iPods across America. That is until a student from the University of Pennsylvania with a dream came along and changed the game.

Steven Markowitz, 24, was once an average white, Jewish kid from Long Island until he became America’s sold-out rap star.

Markowitz, known as Hoodie Allen, will perform his recent release, “Crew Cuts,” at High Dive Wednesday. Though many students may remember Hoodie’s Gainesville debut last September with Childish Gambino on Flavet Field, Hoodie will headline the event this time.

To find out about the man underneath the hood, the Avenue talked to Markowitz about what it takes to make it.

Q: What would you say are the differences in performing with Childish Gambino and performing with Aer?

A: The main difference, I guess, is you know with the Childish show, I was obviously playing for a majority of people who had no idea who I was. I was just an opener on that show, which was awesome ‘cause I got to get in front of so many people. But now, this is my tour and my fans, who know all the words, coming and showing up.

Q: Why make your most recent release, “Crew Cuts,” free?

A: Really, I just wanted to give back to all the fans who supported “All American,” ‘cause that was obviously the first time I ever put anything up for sale, and the response was amazing. So, this is like my way of saying, “Here’s my next album. It’s free; enjoy it.”

Q: What makes this album different from “All American”?

A: I think the main difference is musicality. We really tried to make the sounds on “Crew Cuts” a little more diverse, a little more complicated. Overall, I feel like it has a little bit more heart and soul to it.

Q: What’s your favorite song to perform from “Crew Cuts”?

A: “Two Lips” (Featuring OCD Moosh and Twist).

Q: What made you confident enough to leave a secure lifestyle and pursue a music career?

A: I wasn’t 100 percent confident. It was definitely a leap of faith — sort of one of those things where, when you know, like, that you want to do something and something is right, sometimes you have to go for it, even if you don’t have [a] safety net to fall back on.

Q: Who is on your iPod?

A: Kanye, Kid Cudi, Drake.

Q: Will you visit Alpha Epsilon Pi as an alumnus while you’re here?

A: I suppose anything is possible. Tell them to go get tickets, and if I feel the love during the show, I’m sure I’ll make an appearance.

Q: All of the sorority girls want to know if you’re single. Are you?

A: Um, good question, sorority girls. But yeah, I have to let them down on that one.

Even though Hoodie is taken, all of his tickets aren’t. Tickets to Hoodie Allen with opening act Aer are available at Hear Again Music, High Tides and www.ticketweb.com for $18 in advance and $21 the day of the show.

To the average kids vibing to rap tracks in Library West hoping to make it big, let Markowitz show you how it’s done. Doors will open at 9 p.m.