Small lifestyle changes that can affect your health

Many articles having to do with getting in shape suggest squeezing in an hour or more of exercise into your day about three to five days a week, but what are we supposed to do about those other hours of the day? Sitting in front of a TV or a computer should not be your answer. The Journal of the American College of Cardiology indicated that “the amount of leisure time spent sitting in front of a screen can have such an overwhelming, seemingly irreparable impact on one’s health that physical activity doesn’t produce much benefit.” In other words, try decreasing your inactivity rather than increasing your exercise during the day.

To be scientific, Emmanuel Stamatakis, of the department of epidemiology and public health at University College London, explains in his study of inactivity that “an important enzyme called lipoprotein lipase, which is responsible for breaking down circulating blood lipids and making them available to muscles for energy, is sharply reduced by prolonged inactivity.” Because of this, there are higher levels of fats and triglycerides in the blood, thus leading to a higher risk of cardiovascular disease. Exercise actually has nothing to do with this enzyme’s activity.

There are very simple switches to incorporate into your normal summer day to start reducing your inactivity that don’t even involve a gym.

When you’re at the beach or by the lake, ditch the tanning for a bit and find a beach volleyball game to participate in. Not only are you exercising, but you’re socializing, making this switch a win/win. Perhaps there aren’t enough people for a game of beach volleyball. Fear not, Frisbee is always a great option; however, if you want some water action, try surfing. No board? Rent one!

If athletically-skilled activity isn’t your forte but you still want those toned glutes, take up gardening. Squatting and bending down repeatedly to transform your yard can actually do wonders for your rear by the time that you’re finished. Stuck inside due to the summer showers? Get your dance on with video games like Just Dance, Dance Central or the classic Dance Dance Revolution.

More likely than not, the area you live in has a local country club, which means that the area you live in undoubtedly has a tennis court. If you’re looking for a new hobby or sport to take up, tennis would be a great option. Focusing on improving your tennis skills takes the focus away from the physical activity that you’re doing, making this a great option for the competitive types.

Gainesville was named one of America’s Top 50 Bike-Friendly Cities, so why not take advantage of that on the weekends or when you’re trying to kill time? According to Health Magazine, biking lightly for 30 minutes could burn around 200 calories, so get out there and take in the summer sunshine; however, if the summer sunshine’s heat is not your friend, cool off with a swim. People tend to underestimate swimming, but this aerobic activity actually tones your whole body.

Summertime is the time for vacations and sightseeing. Opt out of taking a car, taxi, subway, or bus around the city for the majority of the day and simply walk it out.

The gym doesn’t have to be the only place that you associate physical activity with and physical activity doesn’t have to be associated with real, strenuous exercising. Take up a new hobby/sport, play some dancing games, or go on a picture scavenger hunt in the city that you happen to be in and get that lipoprotein lipase going.