The new Kanye West album, “Yeezus,” is much like the rapper himself: controversial, unpredictable, egotistical, yet admittedly intriguing.

“Yeezus” is beyond much of the conventions that fill modern day hip-hop and even West’s prior albums. The lyrics and sounds are almost a cacophony — an appealing one, if at all possible. It’s a little less lyrically cohesive and meaty but a lot more minimalistic. Just take a look at the cover art alone.

It’s really all Kanye. Completely raw, at times uneasy to listen to, yet always adventurous. But of course, it wouldn’t be Kanye if there wasn’t any controversy.

West took some heat from the American Parkinson’s Disease Association when the lyrics from one of the tracks on his new album, ”On Sight,” took on stigmas surrounding Parkinson’s disease, most notably through the lines “soon as I pull up and park the Benz/we get this b---- shaking like Parkinson’s.” The group deemed the lyrics “distasteful” and a “product of obvious ignorance.” Comments from the West camp regarding this ordeal have yet to materialize.

West’s new album has also inspired some religious stirrings among critics who deem the title blasphemous as West continues the theme of religion and hip-hop that’s pervaded his career. Many though, like associate professor at California State University Long Beach Ebony A. Utley, Ph.D., don’t think the album is blasphemous. In fact, she thinks the exact opposite:

“Oppressed people, including many rappers, have a historical affinity for the Jesus, who was misunderstood much like they are,” Utley said in her blog post regarding the album. Although a risky metaphor, West juxtaposes himself with Jesus without any less respect for the figure he so obviously reveres.

At the end of the day, West answers to no one but himself, which is exactly what “Yeezus” epitomizes. The album transcends the melodic “The College Dropout,” and the collaborative power of “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.”

Love him or hate him, there’s something about this album — and even his previous ones — that is just pure musical viscera.