Self-taught Ugandan artist showcases work at UF gallery

On Wednesday, the dark expanse of the University Auditorium was flooded with curious freshmen from UF’s Warrington Welcome and First Year Florida classes.

Before every filled seat and student-lined stairway stood timid, but delighted Mathias Tusiime, a self-taught artist from Uganda. In a slide show presentation, Tusiime showcased the process of making an art canvas, his recycling efforts in the community and four of his vivid pieces of artwork.

Tusiime’s three-dimensional art features handmade, textured canvasses made from grass, sugarcane peels, maize husks and sisal. These are painted by an array of oil and acrylics, as well as unique sculptures made entirely from plastic.

The Ugandan artist uses “nature, environment, and the day-to-day life” as inspiration for his colorful works of art. When asked about of his pieces titled, “Celebration,” Tusiime explained that the piece was reminiscent of the cultural dances that take place in his hometown in Uganda. Smiling, Tusiime performed before the audience one of the dances using firm, echoing stomps in time with rigid arm motions.

The presentation was followed by a Q-and-A session with Tusiime, a speech by director of the Center for the Arts in Medicine at the University of Florida and a presentation of Makerere University by director of Fine Arts at Makerere University, Venny Nakazibwe.

Fourth-year biology major Julie Tran said, “Though there were some trouble with the microphones and it was hard to hear the artist at times, I thought the presentation was interesting and it was nice to hear Mathias talk about his life and his inspiration for his artwork.”

Though Tusiime’s works have been featured for ten years around the world, this trip to the University of Florida marks the first time the artist has left Uganda.

Along with his inspirational artwork, Tusiime also works as a cleaner at Makerere University and has five children – ranging from age four to eleven.