<p>Tim Walton studies the field during Florida’s 11-1 win against USF on May 18, 2013, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. Walton and the Gators open play in the Women's College World Series against Baylor at noon.</p>

Tim Walton studies the field during Florida’s 11-1 win against USF on May 18, 2013, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. Walton and the Gators open play in the Women's College World Series against Baylor at noon.

Tim Walton’s team has plenty of depth to start the 2014 season.

After losing only two players to graduation — outfielder Kelsey Horton and utility player Ensley Gammel — the No. 4 Gators will follow up their nation-leading 58-win season by returning 11 of 12 players who started at least 25 games in 2013 in addition to adding five players to the roster.

“We’ve got a great group of returning players with a lot of experience,” Walton said. “Still a young team, but a lot of experience.”

In addition to returning all three pitchers from last season — senior Hannah Rogers and juniors Lauren Haeger and Alyssa Bache — Florida has two new arms in the pitching circle.

Freshman Delanie Gourley, the first left-handed pitcher that Walton has coached in his nine-year tenure as Florida’s head coach, is expected to make an immediate impact.

“Typically, the left-handed pitcher neutralizes the other team’s best hitters,” Walton said. “Most teams’ best hitters, by batting averages and statistical standpoints, will be a left-handed batter. So that’s really a nice neutralizer. She’s somebody who features multiple pitches … so Delanie definitely adds a totally different perspective on the game of softball.

“Left-handed pitchers are really hard to come by, especially good ones, and she’s one of the best we’ve ever had to recruit let alone coach.”

Lindsey Spatola, a walk-on freshman, has looked good during practice but will probably not play much in the season, Walton said.

“As of right now, we don’t anticipate her to get much game experience, but she’s really been a nice part of our team,” Walton said of the Jacksonville native. “She’s here. She’s working hard with us.”

The rest of the newcomers, which include junior transfer Francesca Martinez and freshmen Justine McLean and Chelsea Herndon, have also impressed Walton in their short amount of time with the team.

McLean will start the season in center field and will probably bat towards the end of the order, Walton said.

Herndon, who started the fall playing in the infield, moved to the outfield once spring started.

“Chelsea Herndon has really made a lot of strides, probably one of the most improved players on the team,” Walton said.

Despite the abilities they have shown in practice, Walton knows the freshmen still have room for improvement.

“The one thing they have to improve on is just being able to sustain, go a 7-inning game,” Walton said. “They’re going to have to sustain a long day, sustain getting out, being humble, success. … The season is long, and that’s one of the things they won’t be used to.”

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126