Last week in the Alligator’s GatorAid advice column, Leslie Cole responded to an anonymous student’s question, “I’m a girl, but I’m not 21. What are good old-fashioned ways to have fun without drinking?”

Leslie’s advice promoted illegal and potentially harmful activities and promoted a negative campus culture that implies heavy alcohol use is imperative for social success.

The Independent Florida Alligator is a professional organization with a vested interest in UF students. Students view the Alligator as a source of credible information and may reference articles as authoritative. As peer educators with STRIVE at GatorWell, we are concerned with the newspaper’s endorsement of dangerous and illegal behaviors that may jeopardize the health of our students. In response to Leslie’s advice, we feel it is important for students to know the facts.

Possessing a fake ID in the state of Florida is a third-degree felony penalized by up to five years in jail and a $5,000 fine. Anyone who lends a form of identification and the borrower can be charged with a second-degree misdemeanor and up to 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.

The responsibility of the sober designated person goes beyond just driving. People who choose to drink heavily are vulnerable to alcohol poisoning, embarrassing behaviors, outbursts of violence and even victimization. The designated sober person is tasked with watching out for his or her friends and responsibilities including being a proactive bystander to ensure safety, intervening if you notice someone is taking advantage of your friends and calling for medical help in instances of possible alcohol poisoning; UF’s Medical Amnesty Policy is applicable in these situations.

Leslie’s third point of advice encourages women to barter sexual favors for drinks or entrance into a club. Objectifying women’s bodies and treating sexual activity as a commodity are prime examples of behaviors that perpetuate rape culture. No favor should come with an expectation for sexual touching in exchange. Using bribes for sexual activity is referred to as coercion and is considered an act of sexual assault.

Lastly, underage girls were advised to slip into the bathroom with legal-aged friends to share sips of their drinks. Providing alcohol to a minor is a misdemeanor under Florida law. Offenders can be charged up to $1,000 in fines and may be required to serve up to one year in jail.

In a blog last July, “50 must-know tips for surviving UF,” Cole noted “not every college student in the world drinks, smokes, sleeps around and/or does drugs. You don’t have to do it, promise.”

She also encouraged moderation of such behaviors and endorsed campus resources, including GatorWell Health Promotion Services. We thank her for that and hope that her future blogs will be considerate of the diverse people at UF, the diverse choices we make and the health and safety of UF students.

[Sarah Deatherage is a first year Masters of Public Health student. Maria Munoz is a second year graduate student in Student Personnel in Higher Education. They both work with STRIVE at GatorWell. A version of this column ran on page 7 on 2/5/2014 under the headline "GatorWell responds to ‘GatorAid’"]