Local tattoo parlor to move to new, larger office space

<p class="p1">Mike Salay, 39, owner of Anthem Tattoo Parlor, tattoos Rich Mal, 29, the shop’s tattoo apprentice. The parlor is relocating April 15 to 230 NW Second Ave.</p>

Mike Salay, 39, owner of Anthem Tattoo Parlor, tattoos Rich Mal, 29, the shop’s tattoo apprentice. The parlor is relocating April 15 to 230 NW Second Ave.

A local tattoo shop promises the same atmosphere in its new, larger location opening in April.

Anthem Tattoo Parlor is moving to an 1,800-square-foot space at 230 NW Second Ave. on April 15. It will vacate its current Southwest Sixth Street location.

The Victorian-style home it’s moving to will provide additional room for customers and employees and will also launch the opening of the Zorka Rose Art Gallery & Shoppe.

“This new building will have ample space for us and our customers,” said Mike Salay, owner of the 8-year-old parlor. He said they’ve been considering an expansion for almost a year.

Salay said increased customer business and a larger staff have made the idea of relocating possible. The business now houses six tattoo artists, he said, exceeding the shop’s four-person workspace.

Along with more space, he said he hopes Anthem’s patrons will benefit from the gallery, which will display vintage items and local art for sale. Its goal is to collaborate with Artwalk Gainesville artists and other creatives, he said.

“We want people to appreciate all forms of art, especially tattooing,” Salay said.

The location may also be more convenient for attendees of the Fest, an annual punk rock music festival. Anthem participates every year offering special-edition tattoos to people who attend the event.

Co-owner Samantha Salay said Anthem’s new space will help the parlor at this year’s festival by offering more room to accommodate customers at a location closer to downtown.

Gainesville native Miranda Cullen was in the shop Wednesday night with a friend who was waiting to get a tattoo. Cullen, 20, said she thinks the move will generate more business.

“I think they deserve a bigger place because they are really cool tattoo artists,” she said. “I think it will be really good for them.”

[Alligator staffer Matthew Martyr contributed to this report. A version of this story ran on page 4 on 3/27/2014 under the headline "Local tattoo parlor to move to new, larger office space"]