UF researchers receive money to help prevent childhood obesity

A group of UF researchers was recently awarded part of a $4.9 million federal research grant to develop a program to prevent childhood obesity.

“Get Fruved” is a social marketing campaign to promote fruit and vegetable intake, increase physical activity and help students maintain a healthy weight, said Anne Mathews, an assistant professor in food science and human nutrition at UF’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences.

UF is working with seven other universities on the campaign. The researchers will receive $557,000 over five years in one-year increments starting Aug. 1, said Mathews, the primary investigator on the study.

UF sophomores or juniors will be allowed to enroll in two academic courses where they will learn about health behaviors, chronic disease prevention, social marketing and mentoring. Then about 330 freshman students will be recruited as volunteers, Mathews said.

Although the team will only look at these specific results over the next two years, the campaign aims to adjust the lifestyles of all students on campus.

“We really hope to help students form strong, healthy habits now that they’ll carry forward into their adult lives,” Mathews said.

Brandon Robinson, a 21-year-old UF marketing junior and a group fitness instructor with RecSports, said he thinks the campaign will be a beneficial program for students.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 3/21/2014 under the headline "UF researchers receive money to help prevent childhood obesity"]