When Life Gives You Lemons: 8 risks every 20-something should take

The thing about being 20-something is that you only get to do it once. You only get to be carefree, uninhibited, and self-reliant for a few years — that’s it, then it’s over.  

After 20-something you have real life problems to worry about — problems even bigger than which stranger to pick up at a bar and how to get enough cash for beer. Right now, we’re free to worry about those things. We’re free to make mistakes, have bad judgement, and do things we’ll regret. We’re free to allow the unexpected and welcome the risks with open arms. 

We’ll experience a fallout for our impaired decision-making later, but right now we aren’t worrying about the regrets — they’re evidence that we’re doing our 20’s right.

Here are 8 risks that every 20-something should take:

Being turned down. What harm can it do? I mean, besides bruising your ego. Whether it’s a date with someone you’ve been scared to ask or applying for an internship, just go for it. Whoever is getting that acceptance letter was just as certain as you that they wouldn’t get the spot. If it can be done, you can do it.

Failing. If you aren’t successful this time, you’ve only learned one more way that it isn’t the right way. You’ve only come one step closer to finding the solution. Keep pushing forward, don’t give up. You’ll never know unless you try.

Being judged. You’re the only one who has to live with the decisions that you make. If you want to cut your hair off, do it. If you’re pursuing a dream others call crazy, don’t stop. If you have an opinion you want to express, say it. Those who judge you don’t matter, you do. Do you.

Moving on. Sometimes letting go of the familiar is the hardest thing to do. Leaving behind the things you care about won’t be easy, but do it anyway. Block your ex’s number. Kiss the 2 a.m. drunken texts goodbye. You have far greater things waiting in your future. 

Being wrong. You can’t be right all the time and, sometimes, not being afraid to be wrong is the only way to get ahead. Say what you think and express how you feel — you may open up doors of possibility you never thought you could.

Getting hurt. Don’t miss out on love because you’re afraid. Be afraid, love is tough, but it can be beautiful, too. Love with an open heart. Love with everything that you have. Show the world that you’re ready for whatever it has in store for you.

Being alone. Stop wasting time with all of the wrong people. Take the chance to have new experiences, meet new people, and understand yourself. You’ll eventually be surrounded by all of the right people.

Regret. Next time that stud at the bar buys you a shot and you know alcohol poisoning is right around the corner, take it anyway. Next time you have the opportunity to apply for your dream job, take it even if you think it’s out of reach. Next time your best friend wants to take you on a date, go. You only have one chance to get life right.

Never let the walls you build around yourself prevent you from living life. Whatever it is, risk it. Risk it all. If it will make you happy, it’s worth it. This is your only opportunity to make your dreams happen — go for it. Live your life with open arms, ready and willing to take on the world.