A UF poll has found that the majority of Floridians are in favor of an amendment that would legalize medical marijuana. 

A poll by the Bob Graham Center for Public Service, alongside the UF Bureau of Economic and Business Research, the Tampa Bay Times and Bay News 9, revealed that 57 percent of Floridians were in favor of the Florida Right to Medical Marijuana Initiative, while 23 percent opposed it. 

Organizations such as Drug Free Florida are concerned with the registration and regulation of treatment centers, patients and caregivers — a task reserved for the Florida Department of Health.

While some are wary of the amendment, others are preparing to take it head on. The Cannabis Career Institute will visit Gainesville on Oct. 25 to educate clients about future opportunities in the marijuana business.

“The general public has no idea about the practical applications of marijuana,” said Robert Calkin, president of the institute. “The problem is getting them to listen.” 

At least 60 percent of Florida voters would need to vote in favor of the amendment to legalize medical marijuana.

Kristen Burns, a member of UF’s National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, said past ideas of the drug hinder progress.

“I think that among the older generation, there is still a mindset of reefer madness,” said the 20-year-old psychology junior. “I think it should be your right to choose what substances you put in your body.”

Gainesville resident Rolena Howle said she thinks people will abuse the system if it is legalized.

“I agree there are people who have medical issues that probably could be helped with the use of it, and my heart goes out to them,” she said. “But still, the risk is greater for the rest of the public than it is for that individual.”