‘Tater Salad’ comedian Ron White to perform on Thursday

The local community will get a chance to see scotch-drinking and cigar-smoking comedian Ron White live Thursday.

White, an American stand-up comedian and actor, will begin his nationwide “Nutcracker” tour at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts at 7:30 p.m.

“We, AEG Live, always look forward to working with him,” John Valentino, Anschutz Entertainment Group promoter, said. “He’s one of the best in the business, and he always deliverers, and to see the exchange between him and his fans is always a delight.”

White is best known as a charter member of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour.

The Phillips Center’s box office teller Rebecca Lorenzo said students and the general public can still buy tickets at the Phillips Center or online for $67, the only price left for purchase.

Tickets have been on sale since July 18.

VIP ticket holders can participate in a Q-and-A session and take a photo with White after the show.

In addition to the special access, members will receive a VIP access pass personally signed by White and his newest DVD, “A Little Unprofessional.”

Javier Grisales, a 21-year-old UF marketing junior, said he has watched White’s past acts and plans to attend his show.

“After his ‘A Little Unprofessional’ act, I am looking forward to this one,” Grisales said. “Dude is hilarious.”

White’s show in Gainesville is one of two shows he will be performing in Florida this year. White will not hold another Florida show until March.

Crystal Sutherland, a public relations associate for UF performing arts, said White’s reputation will bring in fans from outside of town.

“We want to be able to draw a crowd from Gainesville as well as its surrounding towns,” Sutherland said. “White is known for his blue-collar comedy, and a lot of folks can appreciate his humor. We are really excited to be a part of his tour.”