Access Party’s treasurer candidate Nicholas Carre

Nicholas Carre, 20, stepped outside his pre-biomedical engineering bubble when he became involved in student organizations.

He changed his major, joined Student Government and is now running as Access Party’s Student Body treasurer.

The UF political science junior is running alongside Joselin Padron-Rasines for UF Student Body president and Kevin Doan for UF Student Body vice president.

He serves as an independent senator for District D after he changed his party affiliation about a week ago. In addition to acting as senator, Carre was also heavily involved in multicultural affairs and student organizations. 

He is also on the allocations committee and treasurer of Black Student Union. He has served as an ambassador for multicultural and diversity affairs as well as political actions committee chair for the Gator Chapter of the NAACP.

Born in northern Miami, Carre was raised by a Haitian father and Guyanese mother.

During his first year at UF, he didn’t get involved on campus in order to focus on his classes and involvement in UF’s marching band, where he played the alto saxaphone. 

His priorities shifted sophomore year when he became a Swamp senator for District D in Fall 2013 and joined BSU. He keeps music part of his life by minoring in musical performance and public leadership.

“I was looking for a group to call home, to find individuals who were like-minded,” he said.

He said his push for involvement began once he switched his major. 

A couple friends from high school got him to join BSU, and soon he was heavily involved.

“It was more of a fostered environment in which they were able to care for me and to develop genuine friendships,” he said.

Carre said his experiences as BSU’s treasurer provide relevant experience to serve as Student Body treasurer. 

He said being treasurer of BSU is more than just handling money. The position requires him to know and understand the 800 codes of the Activities & Service Fees’ rules and regulations.

“That’s first-handedly what you need to be effective,” he said.

He said he also has to know how to properly budget and utilize funds to make sure money is going to the appropriate place.

“I understand what it takes to fund these organizations,” he said.

Check back Friday for profiles on the candidates for vice president and president.