LGBTQ+ students on campus fight discrimination in STEM careers

Students in the UF LGBTQ+ community can learn to combat potential discrimination in science, technology, engineering and mathematics careers tonight at 7 p.m. as part of Pride Awareness Month.

UF’s chapter of Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, Inc., will host a panel of professionals for Pride Awareness Month tonight in Little Hall, Room 223, for students to share their experiences as being LGBTQ+ in a STEM career. 

oSTEM is a nonprofit society created for LGBTQ+ STEM students to network, connect with mentors and collaborate on projects. 

Katelyn Smith, the organization’s president and a UF fifth-year digital arts and sciences student, said it should dispel fears about being LGBTQ+ in the workplace. 

The panel will feature Wolfgang Sigmund, a UF professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, as well as representatives from the Dow Chemical Company and Accenture, a  technology and outsourcing service. 

Smith joined oSTEM when the chapter was founded in Spring 2013. 

“This is a niche that hadn’t been filled before,” Smith, 23, said.

Smith, who identifies as a pansexual woman, made connections through oSTEM that led to an interview with Accenture.

oSTEM also offers a national conference every fall for LGBTQ+ STEM students to attend panels and workshops to develop skills for future careers, Smith said. 

Rebecca Raymond, oSTEM historian and social chair, said she didn’t realize the large presence LGBTQ+ students had in the STEM field. In a career panel, the UF digital arts and science junior found that the Dow Chemical Company has a division specifically for LGBTQ+ engineering careers.

“It’s a unique situation to be an LGBT student and a STEM student,” Raymond, 20, said.

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 3/19/2015 under the headline “LGBTQ+ students on campus fight discrimination in STEM”]