UF pitching staff brings experienced arms, talented newcomer

<p>UF’s Logan Shore pitches during Florida’s 14-3 win against South Carolina on April 10, 2015, at McKethan Satdium.</p>

UF’s Logan Shore pitches during Florida’s 14-3 win against South Carolina on April 10, 2015, at McKethan Satdium.

Florida’s rotation figures to be one of the best in the nation.

Though nine of UF’s pitchers from last season aren’t on this year’s roster, the Gators have added a few freshmen arms and will look to other returning pitchers to help carry the load and lock down bullpen duty.

Ultimately, Florida should see success behind the arms of its starting pitchers.

Let’s start with the key returners:

1. Logan Shore, RHP

2015: 11-6, 2.72 ERA

Shore is the epitome of consistency.

In his first two years in UF’s rotation, Shore has put together back-to-back seasons of sub-three ERAs, going 18-10 through 208 innings.

He will likely be on the bump Friday nights once again this season, and head coach Kevin O’Sullivan should look to hand him the ball for Florida’s biggest games, just as he did in 2015.

And it isn’t all that hard to put the game in Shore’s hands. During 2015 NCAA Tournament play, the Coon Rapids, Minnesota, native went 4-0 with a 2.45 ERA in 22 innings.

2. A.J. Puk, LHP

2015: 9-4, 3.81 ERA

Mentioned by many as the potential No. 1 overall pick in the 2016 MLB Draft, the 6-foot-7 junior will likely slot in as the No. 2 starter for the Gators.

Puk’s sophomore campaign was two different seasons within one. Through his first 38.1 innings, Puk compiled an ugly 5.20 ERA. But following a suspension and an arrest in April, the Cedar Rapids, Iowa, native turned his season around. In his final 39.2 innings, Puk put together a sparkling 1.84 ERA while amassing 59 strikeouts.

If Puk can roll over his second half dominance into 2016, there’s no reason the flamethrower can’t help lead Florida back to the NCAA College World Series as one of the top arms in the country.

3. Alex Faedo, RHP

2015: 6-1, 3.23 ERA

The No. 3 spot in the rotation could be up for grabs this season, but Faedo has the numbers to support his case.

The 6-foot-5 sophomore tallied the third-most wins out of UF’s returners and with 59 whiffs in 61.1 innings, Faedo struck out nearly one batter per inning. The Tampa native also handled postseason pressure well, as he went 2-0 with a 1.64 ERA through 11 innings in the NCAA Tournament.

Expect Faedo to improve even more upon his solid freshman year.

4. Dane Dunning, RHP

2015: 5-2, 4.03 ERA

It was Dunning who started Florida’s final game of 2015, coming up just a game short of the CWS Championship Series.

Though his numbers were fairly pedestrian that outing (three earned runs through 4.2 innings), the junior from Fleming Island, Florida, improved on his freshman season.

Dunning started 14 games, tied with Puk for second on the team, and lowered his ERA from his 4.50 mark in 2014.

If Faedo starts to falter, O’Sullivan has an easy option to go to in Dunning.

5. Kirby Snead, LHP

2015: 1-0, 3.15 ERA

Snead was one of O’Sullivan’s go-to guys — especially against left-handed hitters — in the bullpen in 2015, and he’ll likely play the same role this season.

Mainly a match-up pitcher, Snead made the second most appearances on the team last year (28), despite logging 34.1 innings.

Newcomer:

1. Brady Singer, RHP

Singer, a 6-foot-5 freshman, was taken in the second round of the 2015 MLB Draft by the Toronto Blue Jays. At 56th overall, Singer’s pick was valued at more than $1 million, yet he still elected to attend Florida.

That doesn’t happen often — through the first 10 rounds of the draft (315 picks), just six players didn’t sign.

Likely UF’s best freshman arm, the Leesburg, Florida, native figures to be a top option out of the bullpen, though he should be a starter in years following.

Follow Patrick Pinak on Twitter @pinakk12