<p>Hunter Hayes performs at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center on Wednesday night, opening with his song “Tattoo.”</p>

Hunter Hayes performs at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center on Wednesday night, opening with his song “Tattoo.”

Four-time Grammy nominee Hunter Hayes jumped up and down as he played a blue electric guitar at his concert Wednesday night.

The country singer performed for more than 1,000 UF students and Gainesville residents at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center. Cassadee Pope, the winner of season three of “The Voice,” and Steve Everett opened the show. Pope and Hayes were paid a combined $101,500.

High-pitched screams from girls pressed up against security barriers could be heard as Hayes winked at the crowd and said, “Jump for me, Gainesville.”

He opened with “Tattoo,” and played other songs, including “Storm Warning” and “Storyline.”

Boys, girls and fans of all ages sang the lyrics and danced along as Hayes bent over during each song to play a solo on his guitar.

concert2.jpg

Cassadee Pope opens for Hunter Hayes at the free Student Government Productions concert in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center on Wednesday night. The country singer announced at the performance that she would be performing at the 51st Academy of Country Music Awards, along with Chris Young.

Gabrielle Crescenzi and Jenny Vu were among the crowd fawning over Hayes.

They both held dinner-plate-sized pictures of Hayes’ dog, Cole, and waved them back and forth, hoping to get the singer’s attention.

“It’s his birthday today,” Crescenzi, 17, said of the retired racing greyhound.

Both Crescenzi and Vu are from Melbourne, Florida, and are skipping school today so they could see the show.

“We stood in the rain and saw him in Orlando,” Vu, 18, said. “It was so worth it.”

After that concert, they looked online for more shows and found the one in Gainesville. They said they bought tickets in February.

“We love his music, and we’re also in love with him,” Crescenzi said.

Pope sang songs from her most recent album and played covers like “This One’s for the Girls” by Martina McBride. The West Palm, Florida, native greeted the audience with, “How ya feeling, Gainesville?”

“I have a bunch of friends who came here after high school,” she said. “I’m that girl who didn’t go to college, but I guess it worked out OK.”

One of those friends was 21-year-old UF animal science senior Alexa Penalta. She and her mom stood waiting for Pope’s meet-and-greet before the show. Penalta said she’s also from South Florida and is a family friend of Pope’s.

“We went to school together and took singing lessons together when we were little,” she said. “I had to come see her.”

concert3.jpg

Steve Everett of Nashville opens for Cassadee Pope at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center on Wednesday evening. He performed rock and pop songs off of his album, “Reciprocity,” including “Chemical Weapon.”

Tickets to the show were free but didn’t sell out, said Ilana Sperling, the director of media relations for Student Government Productions. Sperling said there were about 150 tickets left over.

“Wiz Khalifa tickets cost money for students,” she said. “These didn’t. Also, this is a Southern school and a country concert, so I’m surprised.”