Local game store, parlor celebrates opening of new shop

Gainesville’s gamers now have a new haven to gather and play in.

Gamesville Tabletop, located at 4401 NW 25th Place, closed its previous location at NW 16th Boulevard to support its growing business, owner Callie Williams said.

At its grand opening Saturday, customers were greeted by shelves of board games, including Scrabble, Monopoly, Dead of Winter and Battlestar Galactica, along with plenty of card games, rule books and gaming mats.

UF English senior Derek Delano said the updated location feels inviting.

“The new store is very colorful and well organized, which really adds to the atmosphere they’ve built,” Delano said.

The 21-year-old, who is a self-proclaimed regular, said he has visited the store almost every week since he discovered it last summer.

Saturday’s event included a scooter giveaway, gaming competitions and demos from game companies.

Customers like Delano can use the store to connect with others through gaming, especially during the store’s nightly events, Williams said.

“You’re new to town, however, let’s say you play a game,” she said. “Well you show up to the store, find other people who play it and you’re able to relate to them on a certain level and make friends.”

Williams said that, along with other customers, about 10 college students visit the store on a daily basis.

“The best part is that you can find a community here,” she said.