University Police is advising students to be cautious after receiving a report of a man impersonating an Uber driver and “specifically targeting female students.”

On Sunday, a woman reported hearing from her Uber driver that a man driving a gold- or cream-colored Chevy Malibu had been soliciting rides around UF’s campus, said Capt. Jeff Holcomb, UPD’s community service division commander.

The woman told police the car had a broken taillight and Uber stickers on it, according to a statement issued by UPD.

While no one has reported seeing the driver since the department issued the statement, Holcomb said officers are using this case as an opportunity to reinforce safety tips for students who use Uber.

“We just want to make sure we can keep a crime from possibly occurring,” Holcomb said.

Susan Hendrick, a spokeswoman for Uber, declined to say how often people impersonate Uber drivers, adding that police investigate such instances.

She said students should only request rides through the company’s smartphone app, and that Uber drivers are not allowed to solicit rides.

When an Uber driver arrives at a user’s location, Hendrick said, the user should check that the drivers’ license plate, photo and the make and model of the car matches the information displayed on the app.

“Ensure all those things match up,” she said. “It protects the drivers, and it protects the rider.”