pet
pet

Mel Plunkett spends at least three hours a night braiding old T-shirts together to make eco-friendly dog toys.

The rope toys, which take about 45 minutes for Plunkett to make, are made and given away for free to local shelters or people who cannot afford toys for their dogs.

It all began when the 24-year-old UF anthropology senior was on the search for the perfect companion. Plunkett said she found her dog, Achilles, at the humane society and knew the Lab/Chow mix had found his home with her.

But when she was at the adoption event, she said she noticed all the dogs that didn’t have toys. Only after coming across a Facebook video tutorial did Plunkett decide to make her own toys and give them away to shelters in need.

She posted her creation July 23 in the “Free and For Sale” Facebook group and was immediately flooded with responses.

“I honestly did not think it was going to be that big, with over 300 likes,” Plunkett said. “I just thought someone might comment, ‘That’s great, I work at the kennel' or something.”

Plunkett said she still has people reaching out, including organizations that want to get some of her toys.

Suleiky Guerrero, an ambassador for Plenty of Pit Bulls, was tagged in the post by a friend and reached out to Plunkett for toys.

Plenty of Pit Bulls is a nonprofit program run by volunteers that provides foster homes for all bully breeds and tries to prepare the dogs for adoption, Guerrero said.

Unlike kennels, Plenty of Pit Bulls focuses on making their dogs ready for adoption, which includes making sure the dogs have a positive attitude, Guerrero said.

“Dogs need mental occupation that encourages good behavior and a positive environment,” Guerrero said. “Toys are a way for the dogs to interact.”

The toys will always be free for as long as she can make them, Plunkett said.

Because the toys are free, though, Plunkett is accepting donations of old T-shirts and new tennis balls. It takes two T-shirts to make a single toy, so Plunkett said she needs a lot of shirts.

Those looking to donate can reach out to Mel Plunkett through Facebook if they are interested in donating or getting toys. She said she is available most of the time this summer to collect donations and drop off toys.

Currently, there is a waitlist for the toys because of the high demand.

“I thought until a pet finds their forever home, they should have some source of entertainment,” Plunkett said.