Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A UF law student hit the bottle, hit the books and then hit a trailer Wednesday, Gainesville Police said.

dui mug

Ryan William Hernandez

After a shot of rum and a night of studying at UF’s Levin College of Law, 25-year-old Ryan William Hernandez bought a six-pack of beer and crashed his car into a trailer on his way home, according to a police report.

“I’m not 100-percent sober,” the law student told police, according to the report.

UF spokesperson John Hines confirmed that Hernandez is a UF law student.

The accident, which occurred on West Newberry Road at about 11:20 p.m., caused about $4,000 in damage, police said. The trailer was being pulled by a Hummer, according to the report.

When they arrived on scene, Florida Highway Patrol troopers and GPD officers noticed Hernandez slurred his speech and had impaired reflexes, according to the report. Inside his car, police found a partially consumed six-pack of beer on his passenger-side floorboard.

Hernandez told police he didn’t see the trailer when he tried to turn onto Southwest 62nd Street, police said. While performing poorly on field sobriety exercises, Hernandez admitted he was intoxicated.

Hernandez was unable to complete field sobriety exercises, and police arrested him on a charge of driving under the influence with property damage.

Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail, where he was released Thursday on his own recognizance.

Hernandez could not be reached for comment.

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org