Gardner’s Outback Bowl MVP award sign of bright future for UF defense

<p>Florida defensive backs Chauncey Gardner and Jalen Tabor celebrate during UF's 30-3 Outback Bowl victory over Iowa on Monday, Jan. 2, at Raymond James Stadium.&nbsp;</p>

Florida defensive backs Chauncey Gardner and Jalen Tabor celebrate during UF's 30-3 Outback Bowl victory over Iowa on Monday, Jan. 2, at Raymond James Stadium. 

It didn’t take long for Chauncey Gardner’s teammates to reach him.

First it was CeCe Jefferson and Caleb Brantley, and then the rest of the defensive line joined in, mobbing the freshman safety in the end zone after he returned an interception for a touchdown.

“That’s their pick-six,” Gardner said of UF’s defensive line. “They got the pressure, they caused the play, so that pick-six is on them.”

Soon after, Gardner grabbed a second interception. It capped a game in which UF’s defense dominated Iowa from start to finish and a season in which Gardner showed the future may be bright for Florida’s defense, which will likely lose at least three of its defensive backs to the NFL Draft.

“This defense will always be dominant,” safety Marcell Harris said. “We always come out fire, and next year we will too.”

But next year, UF’s defense will look different.

Even so, one thing was assured on Monday — it has a playmaker-in-waiting in Gardner.

The freshman was named the Outback Bowl Most Valuable Player, and as he stepped onto the podium following UF’s 30-3 win, he wore a wide grin while talking about the last several months.

Gardner played in all 13 games this season, collecting 32 total tackles, the most by a UF true freshman since Antonio Morrison had 33 in 2012.

“I loved my first season. I love being part of the Gator program,” Gardner said. “I just feel like this is the place to be great.”

And with an open spot at safety next year, Gardner has a chance to show it.

Redshirt senior Marcus Maye will likely declare for the draft, while the futures of redshirt juniors Nick Washington and Marcell Harris are unknown.

The good news for Gardner?

UF coach Jim McElwain has shown willingness to play young players, evidenced by freshman offensive lineman Jawaan Taylor, freshman receiver Tyrie Cleveland and sophomore CeCe Jefferson all starting this season.

“That’s what I’ve got to do next year,” Gardner said. “It’s just another step of getting better and improving as a player.”

Gardner said the knowledge he has gained from the team’s veteran players has been invaluable, especially from senior linebacker Jarrad Davis, who has preached to Gardner to continue playing consistently, even after mistakes.

“Listen, we may be young,” Gardner said. “But we’re not worried.”

Contact Ian Cohen at icohen@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @icohenb.