The University Gallery will open a new exhibit tonight called, “Lights, Camera, Cuba!” that will be open for the public until Feb. 10. The networking reception will be held today from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

This exhibit is part of the Gary R. Libby Gallery where UF graduate student curators are able to organize and present art exhibitions.

“Lights, Camera, Cuba!” was curated by students Kaitlyn Hof-Mahoney, Nameiko Miller and Alexis Schuman.

“My role mainly involved coordinating communication between different parties, deciding what to include and researching the posters,” said Hof-Mahoney, a museum studies graduate.

“Lights, Camera, Cuba!” selections are from the “Efraín Barradas Mexican and Cuban Film Poster Collection” at the George A. Smathers Libraries. Ramón Figueroa generously donated these posters in honor of his professor, Efraín Barradas.

The poster for the show, “Soy Cuba,” or “I Am Cuba,” is for a 1964 Soviet-Cuban film. After the Cuban revolution, the government turned to the USSR for film partnerships. Many of these films were forgotten, until they were discovered later in the U.S.

“I developed an interest in Cuban art through my involvement in the local arts scene,” said Bill Bryson, a Gainesville resident interested in exploring the exhibit. “I’m excited that opportunities are there to extend our reach with these artists.”

The exhibit is part of a larger celebration of Cuban art and culture entitled “Bulla Cubana,” which aims to promote the exchange of ideas and inspiration between Cuba and the North Central Florida region.

“I think it’s great how the museum is incorporating new artworks and shining light on the talent of so many Latin American artists,” said Cuban-American UF student Jennifer Mendez. “This event brings awareness of Cuban culture through the lens of the artist, not only to the university, but the community as a whole.”

Taking place in and around the cultural centers of Gainesville, “Bulla Cubana” showcases the extraordinary talent of Cuban artists during a three-month citywide celebration, starting January and running through March 2017.

The “Lights, Camera, Cuba!” exhibit can be found at the University Gallery, located on Southwest 13th Street in Fine Arts Building B. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.