<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-ac45530a-2ad7-3f5f-04ed-208e84bf9ac9"><span>Kalin Zaevon Perryman</span></span></p>

Kalin Zaevon Perryman

A Gainesville man was arrested when he crashed a car he stole from a man getting gas Tuesday, Gainesville Police said.

Kalin Zaevon Perryman, 20, stopped a green Honda Civic, which police said was stolen four days ago, in front of the man getting gas at a Circle K, located at 3525 SW 34th St., GPD spokesperson Officer Ben Tobias wrote in an email. The man told police Perryman got out of the car and demanded he give him the white Toyota Corolla at about 6 p.m., according to an arrest report.

The man moved aside, and Perryman drove off with his car, Tobias said. The crime was reported, and police were told to look for the car.

An officer saw the car at the intersection of Southwest 13th Street and Southwest 16th Avenue and followed it before it fled at Southwest 13th Street and Williston Road.

A deputy of Alachua County Sheriff’s Office saw the car and tried to stop it, but the car continued west on Williston Road. The driver lost control and struck a street sign near the Gainesville Country Club, Tobias said. The deputy said Perryman was driving recklessly before the crash.

Perryman was arrested, and the stolen cars were returned to their owners, Tobias said.

The owner of the green Honda Civic, a friend of Perryman’s girlfriend, told deputies her debit card was in the car when it was stolen, and she was missing $528 from her bank account, according to the report.

Perryman was charged with five felonies — carjacking, fleeing police, grand theft, grand theft auto and fraudulent use of a credit card — and two misdemeanors. He was taken to the Alachua County Jail where he remains in lieu of a $655,000 bond.

Contact Meryl Kornfield at mkornfield@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter at @merylkornfield

Kalin Zaevon Perryman