‘One of a kind’: Gainesville reacts to Sen. John McCain’s passing

<div class="row collapse"><p>Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., speaks at a 2008 rally in Tampa, Fla. Aide says senator, war hero and GOP presidential candidate McCain died Saturday, Aug. 25, 2018. He was 81.</p></div>

Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., speaks at a 2008 rally in Tampa, Fla. Aide says senator, war hero and GOP presidential candidate McCain died Saturday, Aug. 25, 2018. He was 81.

In the midst of divisive politics and a contentious primary election, Sen. John McCain reminds City Commissioner David Arreola what it means to be a public servant.

“To see people so proud of him for what he did and for his career, not only for me personally does that reaffirm my commitment to my chosen career path, but it also reminds me that there’s a lot more commonality than there are differences,” Arreola said.

After battling brain cancer for more than a year, McCain died Saturday afternoon surrounded by his family, according to a statement released by his office. At 81, he had served the U.S. as a war veteran, representative and senator for 60 years. His death has left local leaders and students from all sides of the political spectrum reminiscing on his life and legacy.

Rep. Ted Yoho remembers McCain as an American hero who “put his country above all else,” his statement reads.

Rep. Chuck Clemons also expressed his condolences for who he heralded as one of the last great American heroes.

“He consistently put conviction above party politics,” Clemons wrote in a message.

Victoria Garrastacho, a 20-year-old UF accounting junior, found out about his passing from a flood of text messages from her family and friends Saturday night.

“I know that he lived the life he wanted, but I was just sad because I think it was cut a little short because of the disease he had,” she said.

Garrastacho first heard McCain’s name in fifth grade when McCain was a presidential candidate, and over the years she’s grown to admire him as a politician who rose above low-blows and dirty politics, she said.

“I don’t think there will ever be someone like John McCain. I think he’s one of a kind. But I really hope that his work and just his character is an example for future public servants.”

Contact Jessica Giles at jgiles@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @jessica_giles