<p>Ben Tobias in his office.</p>

Ben Tobias in his office.

For six years, local reporters have bombarded Gainesville Police Ofc. Ben Tobias with calls about crime.

But now, his calls consist of congratulations and goodbyes.

Tobias announced his resignation as the department’s Public Information Officer Monday morning after working for GPD 14 years. He accepted a senior consulting role Wednesday where he’ll be producing stories with Allstate’s national media team about their employees and products, he said.

“I found my niche,” Tobias said.

Friday is Tobias’ last day at the office, he said. The department hasn’t decided who the new spokesperson will be but will announce Tobias’ temporary replacement later this week, he said.

His first day at Allstate is Oct. 29, but Tobias’ last day in an officer uniform will be Friday. Tobias, the president of the Florida Law Enforcement PIO Association, will then spend a week at a training conference, he said.

Tobias will work from home in Jacksonville instead of commuting an hour to Gainesville. He’s looking forward to spending more time with his wife and young son, he said.

“The thought of being able to bring my son to school every morning and picking him up after school every day is great,” Tobias said.

Tobias didn’t anticipate how fast his jobs would change, but when the opportunity arose, he decided to take the job. He didn’t get the chance to say goodbye to some of the colleagues he’s gotten to know over the years.

“I wish I had a little more time to experience more from my police world,” he said.

Taking the job was the best for his family to better support them financially, Tobias said.

On Sept. 7, the City Commission voted against the Gainesville police union’s wage proposal that would have continuously increased salaries for officers over a period of time. While not the sole reason, Tobias took the decision into account when deciding to leave GPD.

“I know I was one of many who considered leaving,” he said.

He wasn’t actively looking for a new job when a colleague from Sarasota Police recommended the Allstate position to him that same month. He saw the opportunity to support his family more, in person and financially, he said.

While his wife is ecstatic about his safer job, his son had to warm up to his dad not having a “cool job” anymore, Tobias said.

Tobias said he’ll miss the family he’s made at work and will volunteer as an extra GPD officer he’ll continue as a volunteer reserve police officer for GPD.

“I have seen the worst of our civilization and our city, and I have certainly seen the best,” he said. “I have been so very proud to have worn the badge of a Gainesville Police officer for so many years.”

Contact Jessica Curbelo at jcurbelo@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @jesscurbelo

Correction: An earlier version of this article misstated where Tobias' colleague is from. The colleague is from Sarasota.  

Ben Tobias in his office.