“Everything but country.” That’s the usual response when you ask someone what kind of music he or she likes. I place myself in that category, but when I found myself in Nashville, the country music capital of the world, I put my dislike aside and tried to figure out why some love and why others hate this music so much.

Modern country, like any other music genre, captures a distinct moment or feeling that resonates with listeners. It flows to the beat of a twanging guitar paired with southern-accented vocals. The feel-good vibe reminds fans of happier times on the beach, at the bar or even in the mud. On the other hand, haters insist the music is unbearable.

First off, the lyrics are easy enough to sing along to and do not require a fast pace. I witnessed a lot of people singing their hearts out to songs I had no idea even existed. As an outsider looking in, I realized that a lot of modern country tunes are easy to keep up with, making it an enjoyable sing-along experience for fans. The song usually tells a story, which makes the lyrics easier to remember.

But if you don’t know the lyrics, you lose almost all of the fun. Also, if you dislike trucks, dirt roads, beer or tequila, you probably hate country music because that’s usually what the songs are about. It may seem obvious, but the reason people don’t like this kind of music is because the musical topics do not resonate with them. That is the main reason for my distaste, but I put myself in country-loving folks’ boots and gave the music a chance for Nashville’s sake.

It took some time, but eventually I came to appreciate the music that so many people seem to dislike. Country music is certainly here to stay, and there is something to be said for pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and taking part in music you thought you could not even bear.

There’s no reason to wallow in musical hatred. It does not benefit you or anyone else to bask in animosity. This goes for all kinds of music, not just country. Of course, most of the time you choose what songs get played, but sometimes it’s out of your control. When that does happen, take it as an opportunity that might change your mind or use it as a chance to understand the people who do like that kind of music.

If you’re in the thick of it, let go and try to enjoy the moment, even if the music makes you want to rip your ears off. When life gives you country music, make like a cowboy and just ride with it.

Jackie De Freitas is a UF journalism junior. Her column appears on Fridays.